Wildfire season in California usually runs from July through October. In the past 5 years wildfires have accounted for massive damage to people, property and the environment.
When informed of a wildfire
- Inform your family and neighbors a wildfire is occurring.
- Keep pets inside and prepare to evacuate if necessary.
- Listen to local radio (KFBK 1530 AM, KXJZ 88.9 FM or KSTE 650 AM) for further emergency information.
- Prepare the car – this may be used as a means to evacuate - park it towards the direction of escape, close all windows shut and leave the keys in the ignition with doors closed, but unlocked.
- Disable the garage door opener.
- Wear protective clothing (sturdy shoes, long-sleeved shirt, and long pants in cotton or woolen material, gloves and a handkerchief to protect your face)
- Grab your emergency kit.
- Shut off the gas and other combustibles such as propane tanks.
- Wet the roof and plants around your home - move plants 15 feet away from your property.
- Shut and cover all possible entries to your home. Seal all windows, close blinds, and draperies and cover vents with pre-cut plywood or commercial seals.
- Gather all garden tools such as shovel, rake, axe and chain saw - these can be used as fire tools.
- Let someone know where you’re going and how you can be reached.
- Lock your doors and don’t leave water running